Korelichi district has a rich
historical past. The first mention of Korelichi and Mir in the annals dates
back to 1395. At that time they were part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania,
later - Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Korelichi
and Mir became part of the Russian Empire in 1793. From 1921 to 1939 this
region was under the rule of bourgeois-landlord Poland. And its owners also
changed. Korelichi belonged to the Grand Dukes of Lithuania, magnates of
Chertaria, Radziwills, Dukes of Wintgenstein, Count Zheltovsky.
Tapestries, woven at the manufactories in Korelichi and Mir, were known far beyond the boundaries of the region. The most famous of them were dedicated to the Radziwill family genus. At present, location of five of the ten tapestries created in Korelichi is known: four of them are in the museums of Poland(Krakow, Warsaw), one is in the Lviv Historical Museum.
The district was founded in November 1940. Initially there were two administrative units in its territory: the Mir and Valevsky districts, which were part of the Baranovichi region, since January 1954 -of the Grodnoregion.
Korelichi and Mir were not bypassed
either by historical events or by famous personalities. The heroic struggle of
the inhabitants of the district during the Great Patriotic War was immortalized
in 60 memorial monuments and obelisks, 37 military burial places.
22 monuments located in the territory of the region are included in the State List of Historical and Cultural Values of the Republic of Belarus: 4 historical monuments, 12 monuments of architecture, 6 monuments of archeology.
Korelichi district is located in the
eastern part of the Grodno region, borders with
Novogrudok on the north and west, in the east - with Stolbtsovsky district, in
the south it borders with the Nesvizhsky district of Minsk region and
Baranavichy district of the Brestregion.
The length of the district from north to south is 28 kmfrom west to east – 40km. Its area is 1096 square kilometers. The district includes 10 village councils.
21.5 thousand people live in 160
rural settlements and townships of Korelichi and Mir district. 6.7 thousand of
them live in the town of Korelichi, and 2.3
thousand people live in the town of Mir.
Our district is one of the most Belarusian in the republic. 94.8% of Belarusians live here. Other nationalities live in peace and harmony with them: Russians (2.6%), Poles (1.6%), Ukrainians (0.5%), etc.
The center of the district - the town of Korelichi is located 200 km from the regional center of Grodno and 125 km from Minsk.
In the soil cover of the region the
main specific weight falls on soddy-podzolic soils - 61.6%, peat-bog soils -
14.1% and loamy soils - 56.9%. Forests cover 19% of the area (mostly coniferous
The river network is rather dense. The largest river is the Neman with left tributaries Usha and Servec, many small creeks. There are several small lakes and artificial reservoirs in the district.
Mineral resources are represented by sandy-gravel materials, deposits of peat and iron ore. The Republican geological reserve Miranka is located on the territory of the region.
Motorways to Minsk,Grodno, Baranovichi, Novogrudok, Stolbtsy, Lyubcha run through the district.